Yaygirr Dictionary & Grammar
For many years the Yaegl Elders have dreamt of showing respect to the country of the Lower Clarence by restoring the langauge that this land speaks.
This grammar and dictionary has been developed with extensive community consultation to support them as they revive their language and culture and pass these on to their children.
Steve Morelli is a community teacher-linguist who has worked with Muurrbay for over twenty years. His research is based on W.G. Hoddinott's recordings, and his and Terry Crowley's study of the language of Uncle Sandy Cameron, one of the last Yaygirr speakers. The work has also drawn from the knowledge of other Yaegl people and the written historical records of Gerhardt Laves and several others.
This comprehensive grammar and dictionary includes:
- A dictionary of almost 1000 words and expressions with original sources, handy English word finder and semantic word lists.
- A guide to the sounds of the language, and recommended spelling system.
- A description of the grammar, with useful comparisons to Gumbaynggirr.
- Additional information on families shows the reader, in words and colour diagrams, the relationship words that Yaegl people traditionally used with each other.
- Two maps depict the Yaegl world, including placenames and their meanings.
Order your copy of the Yaygirr Dictionary today!
Please download, print and complete the order form below and fax back to us on
02 4925 2185.
- Publisher: Muurrbay Aboriginal Language & Culture Co-op
- ISBN-13: 978 0 9808405 1 3
- Pages: 254 pages
- Price: $50.00